listen to the news
If you are exercising to lose or gain weight, you must know that although exercising is necessary for the body, you must eat equally important workout meals both times. The meal eaten before exercise is called a pre-exercise meal, and the meal eaten after exercise is called a post-exercise meal.
Many people think that if they want to lose weight, there is no need to eat more. But this is a misunderstanding. If you want to lose weight in a healthy way, it’s important to pay special attention to your post-workout meals. If you’re trying to lose weight without eating, it’s also damaging your health and won’t do you any good in the long run.
Why eating after a workout is important
To learn more about post-workout meals, we interviewed From fitness influencer Gunjan Taneja (gunjanshouts), who has 250 million YouTube followers.
Regular exercise has many health benefits, including physical and mental health, explains Gujan Taneja. Whether you’re running, cycling, doing Pilates, strength or cardio, sports or the gym, all of these forms of exercise can lead to muscle protein breakdown, inflammation and fatigue. To survive and recover better from these conditions, your body needs fuel. A post-workout meal is also required for this.
During workouts, our bodies use stored glycogen, which needs to be replenished after a workout. Additionally, to repair and rebuild muscle protein, it is important to consume the correct nutrients immediately after exercise.
what to do
1. According to Gujan Taneja, post-workout meals should be high in protein and carbohydrates.
2. Moderate amounts of high-quality protein, such as eggs, milk, beans, cheese, and tofu, provide the body with the amino acids necessary to repair and build new muscle.
3. Complex carbohydrates like multigrain bread, brown rice, quinoa, and oats help replenish glycogen stores that are depleted during moderate to vigorous exercise.
4. Mild to moderate exercise requires 10-15 grams of protein, and moderate exercise requires 15-20 grams of protein. If you’re exercising vigorously, aim for 20-30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of your workout.
5. Post-exercise meals depend on individual physical requirements, type of exercise, and food choices. You can have a post-workout snack 20 minutes after exercise and eat a full meal 3 hours later.
what not to do
1. According to Gujan Taneja, eating spicy food immediately after a workout can lead to digestive issues like heartburn and indigestion.
2. Sugary foods such as fruit juices and sports drinks should be avoided as they do not aid in muscle recovery.
3. After a good workout, some people get very hungry and gobble up whatever they come across first. It’s wise to eat the right amount of food even after a workout.
5 Things You Can Add to Your Post-Workout Meal
You should eat eggs after your workout, one egg has 5 grams of protein, but you should only eat the white part of the egg after your workout, you will get 3 grams of protein. Eggs contain amino acids and a variety of vitamins and minerals that help repair muscle after a workout. You should not eat raw eggs, only after they are cooked.
The protein content in milk is very good. Along with many vitamins and minerals, you’ll also find sodium and potassium in milk. This will help with your post-workout hydration. It reduces inflammation in the muscles.
Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is rich in calcium and phosphorus and is a great source of minerals like iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium and potassium. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week as part of a healthy diet.
Bananas are a good source of fiber, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and various antioxidants and phytonutrients. Potassium and magnesium in bananas help repair muscles.
Sweet potatoes are a nutrient-dense food that contain several nutrients, including fiber, vitamin A, and potassium. They are primarily a source of carbohydrates and contain no fat, low sodium and very little protein. Sweet potatoes are low in sugar, and the sugar they contain is natural.
READ ALSO – More Salt Can Cause a Heart Attack, These Signs You’re Eating More Salt